Automation and artificial intelligence have been trending topics in the world of technology recently. But then, most people can barely tell what they are and how they can impact the future of work and life. Many people think of robotics and sci-fi when they hear about AI.
However, automation and AI are simple concepts, not as technical as they might sound at first. They are relatively new trends that are still evolving, and sooner than later, they will become part of our lives. This article will explain what they are in more detail.
Let’s get into it.
What Is AI and What Can It Do?
It is vital to start by understanding what AI is and why it is worth adopting as a business. AI is the ability of a computer or computer-related robot to be controlled and perform activities that are usually reserved for intelligent beings. That’s the most straightforward definition of AI.
But there are many follow-up questions that come after defining AI. One is on whether AI is a good or bad thing and how it will impact the future of work. Well, the reality is that AI is a good thing for work and society in general. It can help improve productivity and performance.
AI can only be a bad thing if humans mismanage it. For instance, AI is not neutral and thus can be prone to bias. It is the people managing it that should put effort into it to ensure it doesn’t lead to innate bias. In HR, for instance, it’s vital to avoid gender, class, or ethnic bias.
The Evolution of AI
The AI field has kept growing in recent years, and its applications are increasing daily. Many years back, AI was just heard of but it had no significant impact on human life. But this has been changing with time, and decades later, we rely on it in a wide range of ways.
One way that AI is helping us today is by automating repetitive tasks. There are a lot of such tasks in the software development world. Any business in the software industry that relies on manual processes is almost or already overtaken by events and will soon not be profitable.
This industry has changed, with businesses leveraging the Guidewire testing solution and a plethora of other AI tools to streamline processes. AI now plays a vital role in the world of software development. It helps ensure software testing processes are free of any flaws.
Besides, it helps reduce release cycles for software developers. This has helped the industry and the businesses that operate in it boost profits. In short, the evolution of AI, which has made it penetrate into such fields, is a blessing and, thus, it’ll be good to ensure it goes mainstream.
Industries That Automation and AI Will Change
There are a lot of industries that will soon feel the impact of automation and AI. We have already mentioned the software development industry as one of the top sectors. But then, AI is getting into sectors that even its developers might not have imagined decades ago.
Here are some of them:
- Education: The digitization of textbooks through AI has become more popular today. It has also become common to find virtual tutors and instructors in this industry. Facial analysis gauges powered by AI are also helping to know students’ emotions.
- Healthcare: AI is making it possible to diagnose diseases quickly. Monitoring patients, big data analysis, and drug discovery are also things that are becoming easier. AI is helping by improving accuracy and speeding up processes.
- Media: AI is also gaining traction in the journalism field. Making sense of complex reports is becoming much easier with solutions like Cyborg technology. This helps journalists create more stories in a shorter time.
- Transportation: Autonomous cars are still being developed and improved on. It might take time to see them more on the roads, but the steps being made in their development have been significant.
- Customer service: AI chatbots and assistants are taking over the customer service space. It has become easier to provide customer support promptly. Also, Google is developing an AI assistant that will help businesses make human-like calls in the future.
- Manufacturing: The use of AI-powered robots to work alongside human beings in the manufacturing world is a growing trend. Robots can help with a wide range of tasks, including stacking and assembly.
- Human resources: Job searching and HR processes have changed significantly with the growth of AI. There are various job search platforms that you can use to find work, and HR departments are also leveraging AI to speed up hiring.
Preparing for the Future of Automation and AI
There is a lot of ongoing research and experimentation in the AI field today. And, the reality is that AI hasn’t reached its full potential yet. There’s a lot more that it will help humans do in the future. The only thing left is to start embracing it and upgrading our skills to its levels.
Otherwise, it might be tricky to adapt to future work environments that will be leveraging AI at a wider scale. Thus, learning new skills will be vital for anyone that wants to work with AI and increase their productivity. You should start thinking about acquiring AI skills by taking a course.
The future of automation and AI is undoubtedly bright. Governments and other international bodies also seem to look at AI as a potential solution to their challenges. Thus, we will see AI being applied more to combat climate change and other environmental issues.
There’s no doubt that automation and AI will take over the world in the next decade or so. It is therefore important that both individuals and businesses embrace them early enough. As a business owner, failure to adopt automation and AI will leave huge skill gaps in the future.
Thus, you should consider having a strategy that will help you deploy automation and AI correctly. Also, invest in tools such as the Guidewire testing solution to ensure you navigate this area smoothly. It’ll help to prepare for increased reliance on automation and AI in the future.